Saturday, March 22, 2008

Q&A with 49ers' Sabrina Gregory

Gregory concluded her four-year career at Charlotte on Saturday with the 49ers' loss to Virginia Commonwealth in the first round of the Women's National Invitation Tournament. This season, she became the 15th player in the program's history to score 1,000 points in her career. She is 11th on Charlotte's all-time scoring list (1,286 points).

Q: How do you feel your senior season went?
Gregory: It took some adjusting with the new coaching staff, but I think we learned a lot about each other and about our team. We stuck together through the entire season and played as hard as we could. We had a lot of ups and downs and started off 0-5, but we pulled it back together.

Q: You've had three coaches in four years, how has that been?
Gregory: I'm not going to say it was too bad. The first coaching change was an easier transition because we had coach (Amanda) Butler as an assistant before. This year was a little more difficult but nothing we couldn't handle as a team. You have to trust your coach and get to know them.
I think we have a great program here and the coaching changes say a lot about our program. Most of all, we are a special group here. I think we're special because we can go through all these changes and still have postseason play. I know a lot of schools would be dying to be in the position we've been in.

Q: What's next for Sabrina Gregory?
Gregory: I think next year I'll be doing an internship here in the athletic program. I've been thinking about coaching because I love the game so much and it's hard for me to leave it in any aspect. I would like to stay in it. After the internship, I might start grad school or get into some coaching.

Q: Do you call Charlotte home now?
Gregory: I'm staying in Charlotte. I wouldn't want to go back to Fayetteville. Nothing against Fayetteville, but there are a lot of opportunities in the city of Charlotte and at UNC Charlotte and I don't want to leave.


RECRUITING NEWS: Former Victory Christian star Kendria Holmes, a 5-foot-5 sophomore guard at Providence, made an unofficial visit to Charlotte on Saturday. Holmes was named to the All-Observer team as a high school senior. Her twin brothers, Chavis and Travis, play at Virginia Military.

1 comments:

Jon said...

Have we extended Bobby's contract yet?