Thursday, January 22, 2009

Notes from Charlotte's win over UMass

Some further notes from Charlotte’s overtime victory over Massachusetts on Wednesday night:

--Confidence is a funny thing. Just when you think a player may be lacking it, it shows up. Junior shooting guard Ian Andersen was struggling with his shot much of the game and appeared frustrated when he was whistled for a foul late in the second half that sent UMass to the free throw line. The Minutemen took a four-point lead but Andersen responded with a pair of 3-pointers that tied the game and sent it to overtime. He ended the night 3-of-9 from the field.
“I was struggling but it was not where I was going to just give up good shots. My teammates got me really good shots. Coach had confidence to leave me on the floor even though I was struggling,” Andersen said. “You always have to have the mentality of, ‘I want this next shot. If it’s coming to me, I’m going to hit this next shot.'"

--Sophomore forward An’Juan Wilderness played in his third consecutive game after missing several with a stress fracture in his foot. Wilderness, however, still does not participate fully in practice. Late in Wednesday’s game after contact with a UMass player, Wilderness limped off the court but returned after a couple minutes. Team officials said he should be ready to play Saturday at Temple.

--Several men’s basketball players received academic recognition for their work in the Fall 2008 semester. Walk-on guard Kyle Church was named to the Chancellor’s List; freshman Shamarr Bowden was named to the Dean’s List; and RaShad Coleman, Charles Dewhurst, Gaby Ngoundjo and An’Juan Wilderness were named to the Athletic Director’s List.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

ATLANTIC CITY HERE WE COME!!!!