Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Hickory High's standout PG joining 49ers


Trevin Parks is willing to work hard for an opportunity that would not otherwise be available.

The Hickory High standout point guard has opted to join the Charlotte 49ers men’s basketball team as a walk-on and forgo scholarship offers from Division II schools.

“I did have DII offers but ever since I first started playing basketball as a kid, I always saw the North Carolinas and Dukes on TV and I wanted to play on that level,” said Parks, who averaged 22 points and five assists this season for the Red Tornadoes.

“The coaches at Charlotte told me they are giving me an opportunity to earn a scholarship, either before the next season or after next season. They told me I have the ability to play at this level and I want to prove them right.”

Parks, 17, has already been accepted into the school and plans to arrive on campus for the start of the first summer school session. He has made visits to campus and had the opportunity to play against junior forward Shamari Spears and junior center Phil Jones, among others.

“It was good to find a DI school that wasn’t just looking at your height,” said Parks, who is 5-9, the same height as Charlotte starting point guard, DiJuan Harris. “I just wanted to have the chance to show what I can do.”

Parks said his likely destination had he not walked on at Charlotte would have been Division II Lenoir-Rhyne.

While he spent most of this season as a scorer for Hickory, Parks said he relishes the role of point guard.

“I want to do whatever coach (Bobby) Lutz wants me to do so we can be successful,” he said. “If that means zero points and 22 assists – that’s fine with me. I think if I play how I know how, I’ll be OK with the playing time I’ll see.”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be happy if he spends his first year just watching and playing with DiJuan.

Jon said...

I am happy to see a true point gaurd... not a combo but a true point.

panfan1 said...

WOW! Lutz is really getting some recruits!!

When are we ever going to get some quaility players. When will we ever get a true center & away from Juccos & 33% shooting!Live & die by the 3!Be nice to have an inside big game!

Anonymous said...

yeah look at all the true centers in the Atlantic 10. You people are idiots.

Anonymous said...

I would think Braswell, Spears, Bowden, Sherril and Sirin would qualify as "quality players". And wait...none are jucos! Charlotte has to get the best player regardless of how he gets there. We aren't going to lure fast food chain all americans.