Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Former Tenn. star considers Charlotte

The Charlotte 49ers men's basketball team is in the running to pick up Duke Crews, who spent the past two seasons at Tennessee and was a consensus top-10 player coming out of high school.

Crews, a 6-foot-7, 230-pound sophomore forward from Hampton, Va., and sophomore point guard Ramar Smith were dismissed from Tennessee on May 2 by coach Bruce Pearl citing violations of unspecified team rules.

A story last month by the Knoxville (Tenn.) News-Sentinel cited violations of the university's substance abuse and academic shortcomings as contributing to both players' departures, but the Observer on Tuesday was shown Crews' official release from Tennessee, which states Crews was in good standing academically and did not violate any university or NCAA substance abuse policies.

Crews, reached at his home Tuesday night, said he will likely make a decision soon between Charlotte and Pittsburgh. He said he's been to Charlotte many times and is friends with current 49ers player An'Juan Wilderness.

"I love the city of Charlotte. I've been there many times and I am very familiar with their program," Crews said. "I played against An'Juan Wilderness a few times in AAU."

Crews said he has no timetable to make a decision. Neither Charlotte nor Pittsburgh has an available scholarship at the moment. In either case, Crews would likely have to pay his way the first season, which he would have to sit out anyway under NCAA rules.

He said he is currently spending the summer working out and taking online classes to continue his academic progress. "I'm sure I will make a visit to campus, I just don't know when yet," he said.

Crews said Charlotte coach Bobby Lutz's style of play would be a definite fit for him. "They love to get up and down the court and play the open floor, I love that," he said.

Asked if he was disappointed things didn't work out at Tennessee, Crews replied, "Not at all. I really don't want to talk about it. I'm definitely looking forward to moving on."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess if you get rejected from coaching at Tennessee you go after there reject players too...

Anonymous said...

That's a ridiculous comment from someone with a burr in his saddle. Have you mastered a class caleld "pile on"?

I hope Duke goes where he wants to go and if it's Charlotte, I would enjoy his two year career. WHo knows, maybe Lutz will put it in "Crews Control".

Anonymous said...

"Crews Control"? I bet you couldn't wait to send that one huh? You probably smiled and gave yourself a pat on the back sending that. Did you come up with that all on your own?

Anonymous said...

^^^ and ^

GROW UP