Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Top girls players considering 49ers

Three top high school girls basketball players -- including two from Charlotte -- who participated in Charlotte 49ers coach Karen Aston's select basketball camp last week have expressed interest in joining the 49ers' program.
Chelsea Davis, ranked the second-best player this season in the state of Delaware by the recruiting Web site rivals.com, is a 6-foot-3 forward and rising senior. She has not committed to any school but is considering Charlotte and Florida State, among others.
The only player ranked higher than Davis in Delaware this season was 6-5 senior center Elena DelleDonne, who has signed to play at national power Connecticut.
Providence Day's Janee Johnson and West Mecklenburg's Jaquaria Forney, both rising seniors, also participated in the camp and are considering Charlotte. Johnson, a 6-1 forward, was named second team All-Mecklenburg by The Observer while Forney, a 5-10 guard, was named to the third team.
Johnson said she hasn't narrowed her list of schools but would be open to remaining near home and considering Charlotte. "I think when I first thought about going to college I just wanted to get out on my own," she said. "Now, I think I wouldn't want to go too far away because I really want my family to be able to see me play."
Forney is considering offers from Charlotte, Kansas, Alabama, Kentucky and Clemson, said her summer coach, Clyde Dickerson. Forney, who averaged 21.1 points per game this season, is attending several high-profile camps and tournaments this summer, including the Best of Summer in Atlanta and Fab Five in New Orleans.

0 comments: