Thursday, June 11, 2009

Bray drafted by Houston in 27th round


Charlotte 49er third baseman Aaron Bray, a former standout at Independence High, was drafted in the 27th round by the Houston Astros.

"It’s like it’s not even real yet,” said Bray. “I was watching the draft online and was about to shut it off. I saw another player that I know get picked then I looked away. The next thing I know, I see my name on there. I didn’t even notice who picked me at first.”

Bray was taken by Houston with pick 821, a surprise to him and his family, since he had no contact with Houston during his senior season at Charlotte.

“Houston was the last team to ask me to fill out a questionnaire. Another team told me they were picking me at the end of day two, but this was a surprise," Bray said.

In addition to being Charlotte’s all-time career hits leader, with 293, Bray is only the second player in school history with over 200 hits and 200 runs. Bray finished with 212 runs. Bray is a three-time All-Atlantic 10 selection, the A-10 rookie of the year in 2006 and was named a Collegiate Baseball Freshman All-American that season.

0 comments: