Friday, April 15, 2011

49ers land point guard

Pierria Henry, a 6-3 point guard from South Charleston (W.Va.) High, signed a letter of intent with the 49ers earlier this week.
Henry, who verbally committed to VCU last year but changed his mind, reportedly had also considered Clemson, Marshall, West Virginia and Xavier.
He joins shooting guard Terrence Williams, center Mike Thorne and forward E. Victor Nickerson in Charlotte's freshman class of 2011.

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't we beat out West Virginia for this recruit? There is something poetically justifiable about taking a recruit away from huggins.

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Anonymous said...

It says he considered them. It doesn't say they considered him. Big difference. Big difference.

Anonymous said...

Nice try 1:49......they all offered him.

Anonymous said...

You're full of crap.....neither WVU nor Xavier offered this kid....they simply "watched him closely" at camp. Ask Dave Telep. You Niner fanz are pathetically reaching for straws again.....ba ha ha

Doug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doug said...

Fyi, WVU already signed two PG's including 4 star Jabarie Hinds. No scholarship was offered to this guy. Zavier already signed 3 star PG Dee Davis. They were full up.

Anonymous said...

I meant to say Xavier.

Anonymous said...

At best they considered him a project. And there was no offer from these schools.

I really wish he was a 6 star and coming to Charlotte. But that is not reality. We will be bad next year that is not What I wish but that too is reality.

Anonymous said...

I heard that he was a 96 starred guy who was too good for college or the nba so he signed with Mars.

shawn_clarice@sbcglobal.net said...

To anonymous and Doug-Basketball teams often recruit for more than one position. Also, this kid gave a verbal comment to VCU which means that VCU was interested in and was willing to accept. The kid is a three star player the same as the PG for Xavier which you mentioned. And by the way, Dave Telep is not always right so quit quoting him.

Charles P said...

He actually signed his letter on Friday, but thanks for the misinformation Mr. Scott.

http://www.wtrf.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=97824

Observer Sports said...

Charles P,
He signed Wednesday, according to Alan Major. Friday was ceremony.
David S

Anonymous said...

Could it be that with VCU recent run to the Final Four he was smart enough to know better recruits would be coming in and that would just mean more splinter time for him.

Anonymous said...

Is Colby Lewis still available? I heard he doesnt like the new coaching staff at State and wants to transfer...

Anonymous said...

I hope we improve. Is that asking too much?

Anonymous said...

Props go to the Observer for ignoring our baseball team's winning streak and being ranked in all 3 national polls. As soon as we lose 2 games in a row, they mentioned both losses in the paper.

J said...

Let's have a history lesson. After the '77 Final Four and the '78 NIT final appearance, the program quickly became the worst in the NCAA. Jeff Mullins was hired in '85 to fix the program. He did, showing an ability to recruit well and coach even better. After he resigned, Melvin Watkins was hired - a great recruiter if suspect game tactician. Bobby Lutz comes in when Watkins, a 15-year assistant before getting the job, jumps ship at the first big-money contract offer he gets. Lutz turns out to be a magnificent Xs and Os guy, but only so-so on the recruiting trail. Eventually, the lackluster recruiting catches up to him and he is let go. Alan Major comes in, and by the time the first month of the season is gone, Major is fielding a team with 9 players. Now he is recruiting for his second season, and the crop of recruits doesn't look spectacular, but at least decent. If he can be as good of a game-day coach as Lutz was, we're going to be in good shape - probably NIT-worthy this coming year and back to the NCAA the next.

And I say again to all the anonymous cowards who have labeled Major an abject failure already - exactly how good would you be able to do with barely half a team? (Remember, each team has 13 scholarship players and most have a walk-on or two.) Major didn't have enough live bodies to do 5-on-5 during practice. With those conditions, a 20-loss season is hardly a surprise. Give him time.

Anonymous said...

Look, I am all for giving Major a chance, but those 49er fans of you -- and I am one, too -- need to recall what you would have said about Lutz when he took over from Melvin. What if he lost 20 games with all those players returning from that team in 1998-99?
Seriously.
Think about it. I don't care that the returning starters from 2009-10's "19 wins from a smoke and mirrors, poor schedule team" as some call it, there were 4 guys and Deuce returning from a team that won 19.

What am I missing? Honestly.

Anonymous said...

He's a Major disappointment. There is no excuse for not making the A-10 Tournament after 19 wins last year and 4 starters returning except poor coaching.

Anonymous said...

Under Lutz, Charlotte didn't exactly win those 19 games by blow-outs. So, if you have the half the team from last year with Duece you are going to lose a large percentage of them. Also, other teams offer scholarships and have 13 players so this idea that you can win games with 9 people is silly. Your players will eventually wear down because they are not robots. And if I recall, Lutz had two players missing two years ago and they only won nine games that season, so I still think that Majors is a better coach.

Anonymous said...

Bobby taking over after being an assistant for 3 years and being promoted to head a team he already knew, recruited, and taught on a day to day basis with the same schemes is way different then Major coming in to players he doesn't know with a totally different mentality and brand of basketball. Not to mention the fact that the players and many fans did not approve Lutz's firing in the first place. It didn't matter who came in there. That is one shaky comparison.

Anonymous said...

He didn't make the A-10 Tournament! Nuff said.

Anonymous said...

5:23.....Bobby never had a "9-win" season and averaged over 19 wins/season for his 12 year career as HC at Charlotte. Get your facts together!

Anonymous said...

Can we at least give Major credit for the games we lost in overtime or by less than 5 points? If we had won those games we'd have 3 or 4 more wins on our record, ultimately making the A-10 tournament. So you have to admit we had some bad breaks last season... The overtime loss to St Bonny, losing by 1 at Rhode Island, etc...

Anonymous said...

He did not make the A-10 Tournament. You have to be one of the worst coached teams in the USA to miss the A-10 Tournament. This is Judy Rose's fault. The worst AD in the USA hires the worst coach in the USA. Good grief!

Anonymous said...

There is no reason or logic left in this thread.

Anonymous said...

To anonymouse 5:23. yu are dead wrong on that one. Booby Lutz did have a nine game season three years ago. that was the year he had the "Twin Towers' on his team and they were missing theire best player that year. The sports writer for Sports Illustrated were even shocked by the fact that with two players avergaing around 7 feet, they only managed to win so little games. booby Lutz usually manages to get around nineteen games but not always. If that was the case he would still be at Charlotte. Now that you've been
educated and I have given you you bachelors degree in "Getting your Fact Straight" now go and tell everyone.

Anonymous said...

3 years ago, Charlotte won 11 games with only one player over 6'7". What in the world are you talking about?

Anonymous said...

8:59....did you just dream all those "facts" up cause none of them are correct....lol......just the record book DA!!!

Anonymous said...

8:59....did you just dream all those "facts" up cause none of them are correct....lol......just check the record book DA!!!.....Charlotte has never had any "twin towers".....wow!!!!!